Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Gluten-Free Flour mix

I have been toying with the idea of our family going completely wheat free and essentially gluten free. My DH has many dietary restrictions and over the last year it has been costly to try to only have him live this way. Not to say that it isn't costly as it is. The biggest food expense that DH has is bread with his lunches during the week and it's not even wheat free. So I have been researching gluten-free recipes and ran across Budget101.com. She has many great recipes on her site and I intend to check out more of them but for now I'm trying out her Gluten Free Flour Mix. I made a large mixture to have on hand. So here it goes
 You will need Rice Flour. I don't think it really matters whether it is brown or white rice but brown rice is better for you. I happened to pick up white this time around. You will also need Tapioca flour and Potato Starch. I'm fortunate to have a Wegman's so these things weren't too hard to come by at more affordable prices. Although the potato starch was sold out for two weeks I finally snagged some. I will be ordering this on my Amazon Subscribe and Save from now on.
 So here it all is: I found my entire sack of rice flour was about 4 cups so I doubled the small recipe available.
  • 4 Cups White Rice Flour
  • 2/3 cups Tapioca flour
  • 1-1/3 cup Potato Starch (make sure this isn't Potato flour)
So for about $12 I have a flour mixture that is gluten free. I will be able to get plenty of more usage out of the left over tapioca flour and the potato starch for future batches- probably about 3 more of this size batch.


No comments:

Post a Comment